As you may know, our community member @peter and his team have been working very hard in the past few months to build a fantastic Streamr integration that allows users to sell their browsing data with a simple installation of a browser plugin (available in both Firefox and Chrome versions). What used to be a helpless situation, where your only choice was giving up full control of your data to use a service, now has a solution; this project aims to give back at least part of that control. The plugin allows users to collect the data themselves and decide to participate in revenue sharing by contributing it to an aggregated Streamr Community Product. If you want to see the journey this project took, this thread might be an interesting read. Also this blog post offers a quick overview on the impact this project can have and a short video presentation of the plugin from its team (note that some additional features have been added since then).
What makes this project even more interesting is that it gives users total control on the level of privacy they feel comfortable setting for their data sharing, like time delay before data events are sent to a stream, in-text masking for sensitive info, rotating generated user ID based on user preference (generate a new random ID every day, hour and for each new data event).
If you are interested in joining a private beta testing of the plugin, please follow this link to signup. The plan is to kick-off toward the last week of June, we will be emailing everyone who signed up with additional details on plugin installation.
Few quick notes:
- This is early beta testing, so expect some bugs and slightly rough UI
- All data will follow your level of privacy setting and anonymization before being sent to the shared stream, I have personally tested it
- There will be 6 modules to capture different types of data (such as Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Search Engines, Youtube) but you are free to choose to test any of them. Only Search Engine module will be enabled by default to increase user privacy, so you can actively decide to enable other modules.
- The aggregated stream will be for testing purpose only so it will be free and not monetized during beta
- As consequence of point above, there is no reward mechanism for users during beta phase, but I know a lot of you are super excited to test out the product 😉
- Join and be part of something revolutionary!